Sunday, November 18, 2007

Technology

In my previous post it may appear that I'm reluctant to embrace new technologies, but, on the contrary, I love change, technology and the internet. I admit to struggling to keep up with it all so my approach is to keep informed in those areas that interest me and don't worry so much about the rest. Shameful, I know, but there only so many hours in a day and I feel guilty when I spend the best part of a day online.... aarhh, like today.
I am of an age (not saying) where I didn't grow up with computers - television and basic calculators were technological marvels and my entire primary school watched the first man walk on the moon on a small black & white TV in the school hall. My uni had one computer that took up a whole room and was too precious for students to be allowed to even look at it. But it was the start of an era of fantastic, exciting change.
I'm now banking, buying and blogging while lounging in my backyard. I observe the universe from my laptop, literally and figuratively, and I know more about my daughter from her facebook than from talking to her (joking - it just seems that way).
In about 50 years I expect people to see media headlines (through their personalised library feed to their implanted ICT device) that the last Australian alive to have witnessed those grainy, amazing images of man on the moon has eventually died. It will be the end of an era - and I hope it's me!

No comments: